Filet TIP Sheet pan nachos
with smoked paprika sauce
Yield: 4 servings | Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 C. canned diced tomatoes, drained – reserve the liquid
- 1 tsp. sherry vinegar
- 2-4 Tbsp. hot sauce
- 2 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 1/8 tsp. Black pepper
- 1 ½ C. sour cream
- 4-6 Tbsp. juice from canned tomatoes
- 1 lb. filet tips, thawed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 – 10 oz. bag white corn tortilla chips
- 1 – 10 oz. bag blue corn tortilla chips
- 1 – 15 oz. can pinto beans, drained, rinsed, and patted dry with paper towel
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into ½" strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into ½" strips
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into ½" strips
- 1 red onion, cut into ½" strips
- 1 – 14 oz. can, quartered artichoke hearts, well drained and patted dry with paper towel
- 4 Tbsp. Avocado or canola oil, divided
- 1 – 16 oz. package shredded Chihuahua cheese or Mexican Blend
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 6 oz. queso fresco, crumbled
To prepare sauce -
- Heat a large skillet over med-high heat then add 1 Tbsp. avocado or canola oil; allow to heat for 15-20 seconds.
- Add the diced red onion and sauté until it’s lightly browned.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the vinegar and hot sauce then add the smoked paprika, sweet paprika, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Place sour cream in a blender or food processor then add the sauteed mixture.
- Puree until smooth; add juice from the canned tomatoes if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Keep refrigerated. May be made 2-3 days in advance.
To prepare nachos -
- Preheat oven to 450° F
- Line a large sheet pan with foil and coat with cooking spray or brush with avocado or canola oil.
- Place peppers, onion, and artichokes in a large bowl and toss with 1 ½ Tbsp. avocado oil until evenly coated; Place on foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until they just start to char.
- Turn on oven broiler to high and continue to cook for 5-8 minutes (no need to raise that baking rack).
- Remove from the oven.
- Turn oven down to 400° F.
- While the peppers are cooking, heat a large skillet over med-high heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add 1 ½ Tbsp. of avocado oil and allow to heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the filet tips and cook to desired doneness, turning frequently with tongs.
- Remove from the skillet and allow to rest.
- While filet tips are resting, prepare the nachos.
- On two large sheet trays, place a tightly packed, single layer of blue and white tortilla chips.
- Top each tray with half of the pinto beans, peppers, onion, and artichokes.
- Top each tray with half of the Chihuahua cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5-6 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted.
- Remove from oven and top each tray with cooked filet tips, scallions and queso fresco.
- Drizzle with prepared sauce.
- Serve immediately.