Southwest Steak Bowl
yield: 4 Servings | Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 30 Minutes
- 2 – 16 oz. NY Strip Steaks
- 2 C. Rice Blend (Texmati white, brown, red and wild rice)
- 3 C. chicken or beef broth
- 1 green bell pepper, small diced
- 1 red bell pepper, small diced
- ½ red onion, small diced
1 – 15 oz. can corn, drained and dried
(about 1 ½ C.)
- 1 – 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 5 oz. grape tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
- 5 oz. queso fresco, crumbled
- 4 tsp. coarse salt
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ C. sour cream
- ½ bunch cilantro leaves (about half a bunch)
- 1-2 small jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 4 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. coarse salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- Whisk together all the ingredients.
- In a blender or food processor, combine all the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Can be made a couple of days in advance.
- Dry steaks and sprinkle half the seasoning blend over them. Rub the spices onto the steak and allow the steaks to come to room temperature.
- Prepare the rice according to package directions, replacing the water with chicken or beef broth; keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat 2 Tbsp. avocado oil over high heat until it begins to smoke.
- Sear one side of the steaks for 3 minutes then flip and sear the other side for 3 minutes.
- Move pan to the preheated oven and cook until steaks are 5 degrees shy of your desired level of doneness (about 5 minutes for medium).
- When steaks are done, remove from the oven and move them to a cutting board. Allow them to rest while preparing the rest of the bowl ingredients.
- While steaks are cooking, in a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp. avocado oil over med-high heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the peppers, onion, and corn.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the corn is charred, and the vegetables are slightly softened, about 8-10 minutes; set aside.
- After steaks are removed from the pan, place the pan back on the stovetop and add the beans. Heat over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
Assembling the Bowls
- Divide the rice among four bowls,
- Top with equal amounts of the pepper mixture and beans.
- Slice steak and place half of each steak on each bowl.
- Garnish with avocado slices, sliced tomatoes, and queso fresco.
- Drizzle with cilantro sauce.